After trying many different techniques from collaborations between my readers and me, I decided that I would take the simplest route possible. You can make this type of Lacing Needle with little more than a screw driver, drill and something to cut the needle material (i.e. hacksaw or Dremel).
- Single-Point Knitting Needle, Size 5 or 6 (I picked up both sizes from Walmart)
- #43 Drill Bit (pick a drill bit that is the same size or smaller than the screw size)
- 4x¾ Metal Screws
- Hacksaw (anything that will cut the needle)
- Vise (anything that will securely hold the needle)
I have included this tutorial in PDF form so that you can store it on your hard drive. Download by right-clicking the mouse on this link and select "Save As..." and save it on your hard drive.
Once you've acquired the tools and materials, the rest is fairly easy.
CAUTION: ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN WORKING WITH METAL AND FOLLOW SAFETY GUIDELINES OF THE SPECIFIC TOOL YOU ARE USING.
|Please excuse the mess in my workshop|
- Determine the length that you want the needle to be and mark it and then cut it.
- Place the needle in an upright position in the vise.
- Using the #43 drill bit, drill down the center of the shaft of the needle to a depth of ¼" (be careful to drill straight down the center). I used a smaller bit before using the final bit so that it is easier to drill the center point.
- Use one the 4x¾ Metal Screws, screw in the screws with the screwdriver until you reach the total depth
- Remove the screw and you're pretty much finished. If you want to produce the polished look like my final result you will need to remove the paint from needle. I used my Dremel, but you can use sandpaper in a pinch. Once sanded, use a polishing compound to bring the needle to a brilliant shine (I recommend using Flitz, it's the best polish on the market).
|Perma Lok Needle, Size 5 Needle, Size 6 Needle|
- Download this Tutorial in Adobe PDF Form
- Flitz Polish
- Single-Point Knitting Needle, Size 5
- Single-Point Knitting Needle, Size 6
- Unique Lacing Needles for Paracord